It’s everywhere! Lincolnshire isn’t called Bomber County for nothing! Here’s a list to start with;
- Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre – just up the road less than a mile
- Dambuster Memorial – Woodhall Spa
- Petwood Hotel – Woodhall Spa
- Thorpe Camp, Tattershall Thorpe. Informative displays about the base’s role in the 2nd World War.
- Scopwick Commonwealth War Graves cemetery has many airman buried there including 21 year old Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee, remembered for his poignant poem ‘High Flight’
- RAF Digby Camp – small Operations Room museum.
- Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Visitor Centre at Coningsby – where the Lancaster hangs out. Book a tour – it’s really worth it! Also home to Spitfires, Hurricanes and a Dakota.
- RAF Cranwell – a training base existing since the 1st World War. Now training Officers including our young Prince William. Small museum nearby with an exhibition relating to the history of the airfield and college.
- Scampton – the home of the Red Arrows – if you’re lucky you’ll see them practicing their air displays over Lincoln.
- The Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, East Kirkby. Amazing place. A restored control tower and loads of exhibits and information. ‘Just Jane’ is the Lancaster there and you can book a ride on it taxying around the airfield.
- Newark Air Museum –
- There are also many other memorials around Lincolnshire including those specifically for the RFC and RAF.
What people say about us
After months planning a wedding, this has been the perfect relaxing honeymoon we were after. The entire week has been wonderful...
The Hayloft is simply beautiful, so peaceful & cosy. We spent the days visiting Woodhall Spa and walking and the nights drinking wine by the log burner playing board games, not to mention soaking in that AMAZING bath!!!
The Bothy was such a lovely place to 'chill' and relax! Thank you for making our stay a home from home, with all little extra touches added in! The first night dinner was super and the crumble was amazing!!
Wow - what an amazing time we have had. Stumbled across this gem on tripadvisor and you deserve all of the praise you get & more!
Wow, what a place! Stephen and I needed a hideaway for a few nights, which would be like a home from home, and we found it with you. What taste you have Sherry, it was like living in 'Country Living Magazine'!
We have made the Hayloft our annual treat to escape and chill. This is our 4th visit now and each time we love it more.
Practically Perfect in Every Way... Thank you.
From a bottle of wine to bath robes - we really could not have wanted for anything else! The highlight might have been the bath - it was amazing!!!! The Bothy really and truly exceeded our expectations and we could not have imagined how delightful a stay it could be!
The Bothy is quiet, cosy and quirky.
Our third here at the Bothy (and 3 times in the Hayloft!); a wonderful few days of autumn sunshine. Walks on the Fens, the Wolds and along the beach. The garden here is a perfect sun trap, warm enough to enjoy breakfast each morning. I love the warmth and distinctive smell here - it will keep bringing us back to the perfect place for recovery. Thank you, as always... PS The flowers were beautiful!